An average person owns at least one piece of furniture; and through the years most will add more than they can hold under one roof. Having your home decked with furniture and decor from floor to ceiling can be constricting and can make you feel overwhelmed by the huge task of putting things in order. At some point, you need to declutter to give way for home improvements or simply to redecorate.
Furniture comes in all shapes, styles, and sizes with a variety of purposes. It can be difficult to pack furniture due to this, and you cannot stack or rack them in storage like you would other items.
● Clean your furniture before storing, making sure that they are free from moist or stains. Moisture can lead to the growth of mould and mildew which can damage the piece. Stains will set if not removed and will become permanent. Use blankets or corrugated cardboard to avoid scratches and dents when moving furniture to the storage unit. You can also use plastic furniture bags for large pieces.
● Disassemble wooden furniture, wrap them individually to prevent scratches, and place all of them in a single box to save storage space. Place the screws in labeled plastic bags so it will be quicker and more convenient for you when the time comes to reassemble it.
● Use generous amounts of for delicate furniture with breakable parts like table legs, bedposts, and chair spindles. These parts require extra care to avoid dents, cracks, or scratches.
● Use two layers of shrink wrap or plastic sheeting for furniture with fabric if the storage unit is not climate-controlled. Plastic wraps also keep wood mites and insects at bay.
● Apply metal polish to brass or nickel furniture trimmings before wrapping to avoid oxidation. Wrap silverware in cloth or towel and store in a cardboard or wooden box.
● Glass tabletops and mirrors require extra care. To prevent these items from breaking, wrap these pieces with packing paper or corrugated cardboard, then reinforce with bubble wrap. You can put the entire item into a box for added security, mark “X” on the cover.
● Use wooden or plastic pallets to prop furniture and prevent moisture from seeping. Flooding and condensation is a major concern in storage facilities without climate control.
There are many benefits to stowing away household items that you seldom use. Clutter is interpreted as visual noise and can negatively affect your mood and increase levels of stress. Minimizing clutter gives you a sense of control and freedom. It gives you more room for certain activities or for more creative purposes. The less time you spend organizing your home the more time you have for gainful personal experience.
There are various facilities that offer space for storage in Toronto, and throughout the GTA. Choose one that has reliable 24/7 security, well-trained staff, and affordable prices so you can get the best bang out of your buck.